Q.

I have high blood pressure, what cold remedies can I take?

Related Topics: High Blood Pressure, Coldness

A.

This is a great question. Well, when patients come to me at the pharmacy, I always have to ask them a few other questions, like, what are their symptoms?

What they may think is a cold, I may think it's different. So I try to find out what is going on. Do they really have a stuffy nose? Is it just a cough? Based on that, I can pick the appropriate products to help them feel better.

The physician may recommend for them to use a product like Sudafed or Sudafed PE, and that's okay.

But once again, the physician or healthcare provider makes that recommendation, and as long as they are testing their blood pressure at home, I would say to them, if you are taking this medicine, start using your diary again, make sure it doesn't go up. The minute you see your blood pressure go up, you need to discontinue it.

There is a product called Coricidin HBP, which is actually made for people with high blood pressure, but it doesn’t have any nasal decongestant in it. So if you have a stuffy nose, usually either I say to them, you could try using like a vaporizer, or you can use a Saline spray.

Those don't contain any drugs, so they are okay to use in people with high blood pressure.

Read the Original Article: WebMD Ask the Pharmacist: Pain Relief