Q.

Other than always having Benadryl with me, what else can be done for my allergic reactions to insect stings?

A.

One of the things I let people know is that when they have Benadryl in their house, they should really have the liquid Benadryl available. A lot of people just take the tablets or the capsules. What they don’t realize, though, is that it takes a while to get into your bloodstream, whereas the liquid goes right into your stomach and it starts to dissolve and work. So that’s gonna really help counter that allergic reaction.

You know, icepacks are always great to keep around the house, too.

And then you could also buy like a topical hydrocortisone-based cream, or Benadryl makes a stick that you can actually apply right on the bite.

If you notice, though, that you’re starting to not breath as well or you tend to feel a little dizzy, what you want to do is call 911 immediately, ’cause most likely you have to go to the hospital, and they will also give you additional medications on top of Benadryl to help calm down that reaction even further.

If you’re prone to getting things like allergic reactions to insect bites or stings pretty badly, sometimes healthcare providers will write prescriptions for people to have injections at home, and those are the things that contain products that will help calm down the allergic reaction until emergency help can arrive.

Read the Original Article: WebMD Ask the Pharmacist: Allergy Medications