My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

When should I call a doctor about hives?

Related Topics: Hives

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

7,995 Answers
373,842 Helpful Votes

Call a doctor if:

  • Burning or itchy welts begin to develop in your throat. You may be at risk of suffocation.
  • You develop hives accompanied by dry throat, cough, cold sweats, nausea, dizziness, difficult breathing, or a sharp drop in blood pressure after an exposure to such things as a bee sting or insect bite or a new medication. This may be a severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis.
  • You have recurring bouts of hives lasting a month or more. You may have a chronic condition that needs professional treatment.
  • You develop symptoms of angioedema, particularly in the head and neck. This requires medical attention before the condition spreads to the throat or tongue and blocks the air passage to the lungs.
  • You develop hives after a blood transfusion. You may be having an allergic reaction to donor blood.

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer
Archived: March 20, 2014

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

25 of 42 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Understanding Hives - Treatment