Q.

What are the risks of marijuana use?

Related Topics: Marijuana

A.

The risks of smoking marijuana go up with heavy use. Although the link has never been proven, many experts believe heavy pot smokers are at increased risk for lung cancer.

Heavy marijuana use lowers men's testosterone levels and sperm count and quality. Pot could decrease libido and fertility in some heavy-smoking men.

Contrary to what many pot smokers may tell you, marijuana is addictive, at least psychologically. Even among occasional users, one in 12 can feel withdrawal symptoms if they can't get high when they want to. Among heavy pot smokers, the rates of dependence are higher.

Many experts also believe that marijuana is physically addictive. Symptoms of withdrawal from pot might include:

• Aggression.
  • Anxiety.
  • Depressed mood.
  • Decreased appetite.

Read the Original Article: Marijuana Use and Its Effects

A.

Although we as Oregonians, as well as many other states have the right to use and grow our own medications, Marijuana. There are still people being denied the use of this wonder drug for invalid reasons. To date, I've been told:

1. It's against Federal law. This may be true, but the Feds; The Assistant Attorney General in fact, has stated they will not harass individuals who follow the rules of individual states, and to date, there has not been even one incident causing problems against people with state authority to use and grow Marijuana.

2:  As a person living in daily pain, the pain clinic I treat with will not prescribe pain medications if I turn in a "dirty" UA. The funny thing here is I used for two weeks prior to my regular visit of eight weeks, and was told there was a problem with my pain meds use. I did not say anything believing I'd failed the UA somehow. She then revealed that I'd not used as many prescription meds as they thought I would have used. How dare I use something they do not approve of, and get more relief using MJ in conjunction with the Oxycontin and Hydrocodone.

A few years ago, I was using 280 mg. of Morphine daily. Not long after being allowed Marijuana, medically, I asked to have this drug removed from my daily use, and be allowed something to use only when I was in severe pain. My doctor insisted I remain on 30 mg. at bedtime.

3: It harms the lungs. I already have severe COPD, but, instead of smoking my meds, I used a vaporizer. Granted, with my condition, it may do some harm, such as eating more and sleeping during the day. I'm sure these two "side effects" will kill me.

4: Ignorance. No further explanation needed.

A.

Research reveals that long-term marijuana use negatively impacts learning, memory and attention and that the deficits can be lasting. Chronic marijuana users put themselves at serious risk for developing mental illness including psychotic reactions and in some cases schizophrenia.

Gallus Detox Center is a private inpatient medical detox facility that specializes in IV therapy medical detox. If you have questions about our facility or detox method, please call us at 855-338-6929.