Virtually everyone with emphysema experiences shortness of breath, especially with exertion. Most people first notice something's wrong when they become winded during a previously routine activity. This might be climbing stairs or mowing the lawn.
Many people with emphysema develop some of the other emphysema symptoms:
- Wheezing: This symptom of emphysema is shared with asthma. Wheezing often improves with inhaled medicines called bronchodilators.
- Cough: A large proportion of people with emphysema experience a cough. Often this is related to smoking. However, cough can persist as one of the symptoms of emphysema after quitting smoking.
- Chest tightness or pain: These may be symptoms of emphysema or of coexisting heart disease. Chest tightness occurs more often with exercise or during periods of breathlessness.
People with emphysema may also face some other less common emphysema symptoms:
- Loss of appetite and weight loss.
- Poor sleep quality.
- Decreased sexual function.
These symptoms of emphysema occur more often in its advanced stages.
This answer should not be considered medical advice...This answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.
Thanks for your feedback.
11 of 13 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Emphysema Symptoms