Q.

Is it okay for my child to wear “decorative” contact lenses?

Related Topics: Lens

A.

This question arises every year around Halloween, and during other holidays, as well. Some lens patterns can really make eyes win the prize! If an eye doctor prescribes them, they can be safe as well as fun. (Keep in mind, though, that these lenses do not correct vision.)

The problem is that many people don't get these lenses fitted by an eye doctor. Some buy them at places like beauty stores and flea markets, without realizing that these "outlaw" lenses do not have the same quality as fitted lenses. The FDA strongly warns that anyone using these lenses is at high risk for eye infection, injury, vision loss, even blindness. Obviously, no child should be allowed to run such a serious risk.

Read the Original Article: Children and Contact Lenses