What do I do if my baby cries so hard he seems to stop breathing?

Related Topics: Crying, Baby

Community Pediatrics, Westlake, CA

Crying is not dangerous to your baby. It’s not going to cause brain damage, and they’re not going to stop breathing.

There is, however, something called breath-holding spells, where a baby may cry so hard that they stop breathing for a moment or two and then start breathing again. If this happens, you do want to see your pediatrician to see if there’s something going on, but a breath-holding spell is all it usually is.

If they really seem to stop breathing or turn blue, call your pediatrician, but it could also be that the baby just cried so hard that mucus got stuck in the throat, and he or she didn’t know how to clear it for a moment.

Read the Original Article: Expert Q&A: Crying and Colic