Q.

When should I let my baby "cry it out"?

Related Topics: Crying, Baby

Pediatrics
Community Pediatrics, Westlake, CA
A.

It depends on the age of the baby you’re talking about. In the first two or three months of life, you just can’t spoil infants, so by all means pick them up, walk with them, calm them down.

After that, you do want to let them start learning how to soothe themselves. If you know they’re not wet, they’re not hungry, and nothing else is wrong, you can let them cry awhile and blow off steam. It’s OK to put them down and leave the room and relax yourself -- it’s OK to leave them and give yourself a break. Just leave them in a safe place and take a break and give them a little time.

Read the Original Article: Expert Q&A: Crying and Colic