Q.

What should I do when my baby starts teething and cries a lot?

Related Topics: Teething, Crying, Baby

Pediatrics
Community Pediatrics, Westlake, CA
A.

A teething baby often likes to suck, chew, and gnaw on things. Teething rings can help, or often, I’ll have parents get a washcloth wet, then twist it or roll it up and put it in the freezer or fridge, and once it’s cold let the baby chew on that. Or you can try freezing a mini-bagel and let them chew on it -- but depending on how young they are you have to be careful, keeping an eye on baby so that they don’t bite off a big piece.

Sometimes I’ll have a parent give a teething baby an appropriate dose of acetaminophen at night, which helps soothe the baby and minimize the pain, so the baby can sleep longer.

I will say to be careful with topical solutions; be careful that you don’t overdo them. I’d recommend checking with your physician before you use them.

Read the Original Article: Expert Q&A: Crying and Colic