Q.

What should I do when my baby starts teething and cries a lot?

Related Topics: Teething, Crying, Baby

Pediatrics
Community Pediatrics, Westlake, CA
A.

A teething baby often likes to suck, chew, and gnaw on things. Teething rings can help, or often, I’ll have parents get a washcloth wet, then twist it or roll it up and put it in the freezer or fridge, and once it’s cold let the baby chew on that. Or you can try freezing a mini-bagel and let them chew on it -- but depending on how young they are you have to be careful, keeping an eye on baby so that they don’t bite off a big piece.

Sometimes I’ll have a parent give a teething baby an appropriate dose of acetaminophen at night, which helps soothe the baby and minimize the pain, so the baby can sleep longer.

I will say to be careful with topical solutions; be careful that you don’t overdo them. I’d recommend checking with your physician before you use them.

Read the Original Article: Expert Q&A: Crying and Colic

A.

Try a refrigerated pacifier or teether. Don't store the teether in the freezer because when frozen it can get hard enough to damage a baby's gums. There are a variety of refrigerated teethers, including some with plastic handles so your baby's hands won't get cold. If nothing is working and your baby needs relief, your doctor might recommend trying an over-the-counter painkiller like acetaminophen. (Note: Don't give new medicines to a baby without first checking with a doctor. Ask the doctor for the proper dosage whenever giving acetaminophen to a child younger than 2.) Your baby is teething when his or her first set of teeth, called primary teeth , break through the gums. When does teething typically start? Teething usually begins around 6 months of age. But it is normal for teething to start at any time between 3 months and 12 months of age. Also find a good dental clinic which consists of experienced pediatricians who will help to give your child proper oral care. There are some great dental clinics which consists of services not only in child dentistry but also in other dental areas like cerec restoration, dental implants, neuromuscular dentistry and many more.