Q.

What colic remedies work?

Related Topics: Colic

Pediatrics
Community Pediatrics, Westlake, CA
A.

Of course, every baby is different, but there are several things parents can try to soothe a colicky baby:

• For younger infants, a good, tight swaddle often helps. Being swaddled makes them feel secure and can calm them.

• Babies also tend to like loud, repetitive sounds like radio static or the sound of washing machines, so if you go shhhh-shhhh in your baby’s ear that can work, as well. But you do have to do the "shhhing" loud enough to be heard over the baby’s crying. The reason they like sounds like this is that they remind the baby of the sound of their mother’s heartbeat.

• Another thing I like to try is singing; some babies really respond well to their parents’ voice.

• You can also try turning babies on their the sides when you’re holding them, and giving them something to suck on, like a pacifier or your finger.

• Or try taking the baby out in a stroller.

Read the Original Article: Expert Q&A: Crying and Colic

Next Question: