Q.

What should I do if I think I have food poisoning?

Related Topics: Food Poisoning

A.

If the food-borne illness is mild, you can treat yourself and wait for symptoms to pass, experts say. You can lower a slight fever with acetaminophen. (Call a doctor for high fevers.)

Keep yourself (or your child) hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids. "Make sure you take frequent sips of water, or drink clear soups, clear sodas, or juice mixed with water," says Jason Dees, DO, a family physician in New Albany, Miss., and a member of the board of directors of the American Academy of Family Physicians.

You can also buy oral rehydration solutions, such as CeraLyte, Oralyte, and Pedialyte.

Call the doctor if you’re at serious risk of dehydration, or if you have any of these symptoms:

• Severe abdominal pain.

• Neurologic signs, such as numbness.

• A fever over 100 degrees, especially if you can't control it with acetaminophen.

• Blood in the mucous or stool.

• Vomiting that persists more than a couple of days.

• Diarrhea that is substantial and persists more than three days or so.

Read the Original Article: Is It Really Food Poisoning?