Q.

Should I move because of my asthma or allergy symptoms?

Related Topics: Allergy, Asthma, Movement

A.

Understandably, many people living in cities and suffering with asthma are desperate to get out. They want to move, convinced that life in another part of the country will resolve their asthma symptoms. However, asthma experts generally advise against the idea.

It often doesn't work. Asthma is such a complex disease -- affected by so many different factors -- that it's difficult to predict how a person will do in a new location, says Angel Waldron, marketing and communications manager for the Asthma and Allergy Foundation.

Another thing to keep in mind: people who have allergies are prone to developing new allergies. So after all the bother of moving, you could just wind up trading your old ragweed allergy in Boston for a brand new oak tree allergy in Palm Bay, Fla.

Be very cautious when considering a move because of your asthma symptoms. Remember, there's no best city for asthma. If you're determined, try living in the new location for a few months before permanently uprooting yourself.

Read the Original Article: Asthma and Cities: Which Cities Rank Best?