Q.

Can diet really make a difference with diabetes?

Related Topics: Diabetes, Diet

A.

Weight loss, plus exercise, can make a difference in helping people with type 2 diabetes get their hemoglobin A1C -- the measure of average blood sugar levels -- to the goal of less than 7%, according to Osama Hamdy, MD, PhD, medical director of the Obesity Clinic and Program, Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston.

He reported on results of a program at Joslin Diabetes Center called Why WAIT (Weight Achievement and Intensive Treatment), in which those with type 2 diabetes are encouraged to lose weight by following the Joslin guidelines for overweight patients.

In a report on 85 WAIT participants, Hamdy found that they reduced their initial weight by an average of 24 pounds after 12 weeks. About 82% of the participants reached the target A1C of less than 7%.

Their cholesterol levels improved significantly, too. And participants needed less diabetes medicine once they lost weight.

Read the Original Article: How a 'Diabetes Diet' Protects Your Health

A.

First off let me tell you my opinion which is a growing consensus among many doctors and diabetics. DIETS DO NOT WORK. They may help you in the short haul but in order to really make progress it takes a complete change in one’s lifestyle of eating to have any long term benefits. Over weight? Living a sedentary lifestyle, high cholesterol, high A1C?   Stop and think, "What got me to where I am". It always ends up being how you eat everyday foods and or sedentary. Here in America we have what is called the S.A.D (Sat American Diet) in which we eat lots of processed or pre-prepared meals laden with salts,sugars, High fructose corn syrup, Processed meats like lunch meats, ham, bacon, hot dogs etc. and processed grains in biscuits, breads, pasta, etc. 

Every one of these foods causes our bodies to "revolt" against their acidic causing processes within our body resulting in obesity, mineral and vit shortages (like calcium and magnessium) and many other health problems

If, and only if you change your lifestyle of eating for the rest of your life will you see any long term benefits to what people call Diets!  You stop dieting, you go back to being heavy, sick, and even diabetic. You must change your lifestyle of eating. You cannot do the same things that got you to where you are with your health and expect lasting results.

Proof of this comes from people having bariatric and lap band surgery. They lose weight and their diabetes goes into remission, but, if they return to their old eating ways the weight and diabetes will come back.

I was a diebetic for 15 yrd taking the max dose of Lantus plus metformin and B/P pills, Cholesterol plls and an A1C of 7.2. I changed my lifestyle of eating to what is called the alkaline lifestyle and am now off all pills or meds for any health problems. No insulin, no pills of any kind and an A1C of 6.1' I will never go back to eating the S.A.D again