Q.

What should and shouldn't I eat while I'm pregnant?

Related Topics: Pregnancy

A.

While pregnant, you're eating for two, as the old saying goes -- but just what are you two supposed to be eating?

• Get all essential vitamins and minerals daily. Take prenatal vitamins and eat a healthy diet.

• Fill your plate with leafy greens, fruits, veggies, and whole grains (like wheat breads and cereals). Get plenty of calcium-rich foods such as broccoli and low-fat milk and yogurt. Stick to lean meats like chicken and turkey.

Foods to avoid during pregnancy include:

• Fish with lots of mercury such as swordfish, tilefish, and shark. Cut back on tuna and snapper to no more than one serving a week. But you can eat up to two servings of fish such as salmon, catfish, mahi mahi, and cod, along with shellfish like shrimp, crab, and scallops.

• Raw fish.

• Unpasteurized soft cheeses like brie, Camembert, feta, gorgonzola, and Roquefort. They may contain bacteria called listeria that can cross the placenta.

• Unpasteurized milk, which can also contain listeria.

• Cold ready-to-eat meats, like hot dogs and luncheon meats; these can also contain listeria. Reheat these foods until they are steaming.

• Uncooked or cured eggs and meats, such as prosciutto, runny eggs, and sauces made with raw eggs (like some hollandaises).

• Alcohol. There is no known safe level of exposure to alcohol for a fetus.

• Caffeine. Large amounts of caffeine have been linked to premature birth and low birth weight. If you can't cut it out entirely, limit intake to 300 milligrams per day or less (one to two cups of coffee).

Read the Original Article: Frequently Asked Questions About Pregnancy