Q.

My wife just found out that she has HPV. Does this mean I’ll get genital warts?

Related Topics: Human Papillomavirus, Wart

A.

Although it may not have the fame of herpes or the clap, HPV is actually the most common sexually transmitted disease. Fifty percent of all men will have it at some point in their lives. In most cases, HPV causes no symptoms and doesn’t lead to any health problems. But some strains do cause genital warts.

The only way to prevent transmission of the virus is to avoid skin contact. Condoms may help reduce transmission, but that’s not really clear.

The virus has no cure. If you do get genital warts, they’re most likely to appear on the head of your penis. They can also show up elsewhere, including your anus. While they may fade on their own, they can also be treated with creams or surgery.

HPV does raise the risk of getting cancers of the anus and penis -- however, those risks are still extremely low.

Read the Original Article: Frequently Asked Questions About Men's Health