Q.

Should I stop taking hormone replacement therapy?

A.

The answer depends on how long you've been taking hormone replacement therapy, or HRT, and why. The Women's Health Initiative -- WHI -- found that long-term use (five or more years) of hormone replacement therapy combining two hormones, estrogen and progestin, increased women's risk of heart disease, stroke, blood clots, and breast cancer. However, hormone replacement therapy lowered women's risk of bone fractures and colorectal cancer. Every woman is unique, and no one should start or stop HRT without consulting with her doctor.

If you choose to stop hormone replacement therapy, taper off the hormones gradually. Some women suffer symptoms of withdrawal if they stop abruptly. If you choose to stay on hormone replacement therapy, ask your doctor to re-evaluate you once a year to look at risk vs. benefits. Staying on hormones longer than five years is no longer advisable.

Read the Original Article: Frequently Asked Questions About Hormone Replacement Therapy for Menopause Symptoms