My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

I have allergies to mites and mold; how do I avoid them?

Related Topics: Allergy, Mold, Mite

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

7,995 Answers
375,739 Helpful Votes

If you have allergies to mites and mold, approaches to avoid dust mites and mold include:
Dust Mites

  • Encase pillows, mattresses, and box springs with allergen-proof, zippered covers.

  • Wash all bedding in hot water once a week.

  • If you cannot get rid of your carpeting, vacuum often with a multi-layer, allergen-proof vacuum bag. Wear a mask while vacuuming. If your child has asthma, do not vacuum while he or she is in the room.

  • Avoid curtains and drapes. Use plain window shades instead of mini-blinds. Washable curtains should be washed in hot water every 2 to 4 weeks.

  • Dust all surfaces with a damp cloth often, including lampshades and windowsills.

  • Store toys and books in enclosed bookshelves, drawers, or closets.

  • Replace traditional stuffed animals with washable stuffed animals.

  • Keep all clothing in drawers and closets. Keep drawers and closets closed.

  • Cover air ducts with filters or cheesecloth. Change these when soiled.

  • Pillows and bedding should not contain feathers.

  • Keep indoor humidity low (25%-50%). Use a dehumidifier.

  • Regularly change filters on heaters and air conditioners.

Mold and Mildew

  • Air out damp, humid areas frequently. Run a dehumidifier to keep humidity between 25% and 50%.

  • Use air conditioners when possible.

  • Clean bathrooms regularly using products that kill and prevent mold. Use exhaust fans to vent steam. Do not carpet the bathroom.

  • Avoid sources of outdoor molds, such as wet leaves or garden debris.

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer
Archived: March 20, 2014

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

74 of 79 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Frequently Asked Questions about Asthma