Q.

Is chicken soup really good for a cold?

Related Topics: Cold, Coldness, Soup

A.

Recently researchers have discovered what grandmothers have suspected all along -- that the ingredients in chicken soup (including the chicken stock, carrot, onion, and celery) might actually have a medicinal effect on the body’s immune system, easing the inflammation caused by cold viruses.

“I’ve enjoyed chicken soup for years,” says Neil Schachter, MD, professor of medicine at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City and author of The Good Doctor’s Guide to Colds and Flu. “The vapor alone clears nasal passages and relieves the throbbing in the sinuses.”

Read the Original Article: Preventing Cold & Flu: How Doctors Keep Germs at Bay