My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

When should I call the doctor for foot pain?

Related Topics: Foot, Pain

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

5,093 Answers
270,013 Helpful Votes

Most of the bones in the foot will eventually heal with rest, but some fractures may need surgery to repair.

Often, it is the mechanism of injury associated with the intensity of pain that makes the patient seek care. It is appropriate to seek medical care if the patient cannot walk normally without a limp.

Medical care should be accessed immediately if an injury to the foot also includes a laceration. The term "open fracture," previously named "compound fracture," describes a broken bone that is associated with a break in the skin. In these cases there is significant risk for major infection of the bone.

Other reasons to seek care include the presence of numbness or tingling in the toes, which may be an indication of nerve damage, or if the foot becomes cool and white, which may signal damage to the blood supply of the foot.

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer
Archived: March 20, 2014

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

73 of 98 found this helpful
Read the Original Article: Broken Foot

Next Question: