Q.

When should I call the doctor for foot pain?

Related Topics: Foot, Pain

A.

Most of the bones in the foot will eventually heal with rest, but some fractures may need surgery to repair.

Often, it is the mechanism of injury associated with the intensity of pain that makes the patient seek care. It is appropriate to seek medical care if the patient cannot walk normally without a limp.

Medical care should be accessed immediately if an injury to the foot also includes a laceration. The term "open fracture," previously named "compound fracture," describes a broken bone that is associated with a break in the skin. In these cases there is significant risk for major infection of the bone.

Other reasons to seek care include the presence of numbness or tingling in the toes, which may be an indication of nerve damage, or if the foot becomes cool and white, which may signal damage to the blood supply of the foot.

Read the Original Article: Broken Foot

Next Question: