Q.

Which Cold Treatment Should I Use With Emphysema or Chronic Bronchitis?

Related Topics: Bronchitis, Emphysema, Coldness

A.

First, it is important to stay on your prescribed medications for emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Then, to decide how to treat cold symptoms, it's best to talk with your doctor. You might treat the body aches and fever associated with a cold with acetaminophen or ibuprofen. In addition, you should avoid antihistamines that thicken mucus and make it even more difficult to cough up.

Most over-the-counter cold remedies are generally safe for people with emphysema and chronic bronchitis. However, decongestants raise blood pressure and some of the drugs used to treat emphysema and chronic bronchitis also raise heart rate. So, use decongestants with caution. Again, ask your doctor about medications for cold symptoms.

Read the Original Article: Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and Colds