A.

In addition to an imbalance in the tear-flow system of the eye, dry eyes can be caused by situations that dry out the tear film. This can be due to dry air from air conditioning, heat, or other environmental conditions. Other conditions that may cause dry eyes are:

• The natural aging process, especially menopause.
  • Side effects of certain medications such as antihistamines and birth control pills.
  • Diseases that affect the ability to make tears, such as Sjogren's syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and collagen vascular diseases.
  • Structural problems with the eye lids that don't allow them to close properly.

Read the Original Article: Dry Eyes

A.
Despite using lubricants such as system gel or other gels, on a scale of 1-10 the pain in my right eye in the middle of the night sometimes is at 9. Then I have to administer more gel and sometimes that doesn't last long either.

How can I tell if I am opening my eye during the night. Would a patch help? what else can I try? My eye doctor isn't concerned, because he doesn't see any damage. 
I have had dry eye for three years and now it is getting worse.