Q.

Is my family history relevant to my breast cancer diagnosis?

Related Topics: Breast Cancer, Family

A.
If you have a strong (positive) family history for breast cancer, ovarian cancer or even prostate cancer, this information is relevant to your diagnosis. A strong family history in this case usually means that a mother, sibling, child, or father has had a related malignancy. Information about other family members (aunts, nieces, etc.) is also important. This is especially significant if the diagnosis of breast cancer was made at an early age or involved both breasts or a breast and an ovary in the same individual. A positive family history may necessitate a more comprehensive diagnostic workup, more involved treatment, and consideration of genetic testing, not only for you but for other family members.

Read the Original Article: Breast Cancer Questions to Ask the Doctor