Q.

What is the treatment for genital herpes?

Related Topics: Genital Herpes

A.

Although there is no known cure for herpes, there are treatments for the outbreaks. There are oral medications, such as acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), or valacyclovir (Valtrex), that prevent the virus from multiplying and even shorten the length of the eruption. Although topical (applied directly on the lesions) agents exist, they are generally less effective than other medications and are not routinely used. Medication that is taken by mouth, or in severe cases intravenously, is more effective. It is important to remember that there is still no cure for genital herpes and that these treatments only reduce the severity and duration of outbreaks.

Since the initial infection with HSV tends to be the most severe episode, an antiviral medication usually is warranted. These medications can significantly reduce pain and decrease the length of time until the sores heal, but treatment of the first infection does not appear to reduce the frequency of recurrent episodes.

In contrast to a new outbreak of genital herpes, recurrent herpes episodes tend to be mild, and the benefit of antiviral medications is only derived if therapy is started immediately prior to the outbreak or within the first 24 hours of the outbreak. Thus, the antiviral drug must be provided for the patient in advance. The patient is instructed to begin treatment as soon as the familiar pre-outbreak "tingling" sensation occurs or at the very onset of blister formation.

Finally, suppressive therapy to prevent frequent recurrences may be indicated for those with more than six outbreaks in a given year. Acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex) may all be given as suppressive therapies.

Read the Original Article: Genital Herpes In Women

A.

Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured but just managed upto a level. There are several medications available which can be used to get relief from the disease, but the best way to deal with any disease is by having some natural therapies for it. I have read about hypericum mysorense and nosodes which can be really very helpful for the people suffering from Herpes. Hypericum family have also been studied to have anti-viral effects. Although, people suffering, first must do a research on it. And consult a Doctor about the ailment.

Also, you should avoid foods rich in arginine like peanuts, chocolate and almonds, which leads to more frequent herpes outbreaks.Avoid alcohol and Processed Foods. Take largely plant-based dietsuch as cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale, broccoli, since some individuals report success in controlling herpes outbreaks by avoiding consumption of all animal based food products.

A.
Male - I use a natural herb for my outbreaks and have for 17 years with no apparent side effect. I have an outbreak approx every 7 months. On a long week end trip to Tennessee by chance/luck I realized that this natural herb (relaxer) worked great.