Q.

What are symptoms of scleroderma?

Related Topics: Scleroderma

A.

The symptoms of scleroderma depend on the type of scleroderma present and the extent of external and internal involvement in the individual affected. Because scleroderma can affect the skin, esophagus, blood vessels, kidneys, lungs, blood pressure and bowels, the symptoms it causes can involve many areas of the body.

Scleroderma affects the skin to cause local or widespread signs of inflammation (redness, swelling, tenderness, itching, and pain) that can lead to skin tightness or hardening. These skin changes can be widespread, but it's most common for them to affect the fingers, feet, face, and neck. This can lead to decreased range of motion of the fingers, toes, and jaw. Tiny areas of calcification (calcinosis), while not common, can sometimes be noticed as hard nodules at the tips of the elbows or in the fingers.

Scleroderma affecting the esophagus leads to heartburn. This is directly a result of stomach acid flowing back up into the esophagus. Sometimes this can lead to scarring of the esophagus, resulting in narrowing with difficulty swallowing food and/or localized pain in the central chest.

Blood vessels that can be affected include the tiny arterioles of the finger tips, toes, and elsewhere. These vessels can have a tendency to spasm when the areas are exposed to cold, leading to blueness, whiteness, and redness of involved fingers, toes, and sometimes nose or ears. These color changes are referred to as Raynaud's phenomenon. Raynaud's phenomenon can cause inadequate supply of oxygen to the involve tips of fingers or toes, causing tiny ulcers or blackened (dead) skin. Sometimes Raynaud's phenomenon is also associated with tingling. Other blood vessels that can be involved in scleroderma are the tiny capillaries of the face, lips, mouth, or fingers. These capillaries widen (dilate), forming tiny, red blanching spots, called telangiectasias.

Elevated blood pressure is potentially serious and can lead to kidney damage. Symptoms include headache, fatigue, and in severe cases, stroke. Blood pressure monitoring and control is essential.

Inflammation of the lungs in scleroderma can cause scarring, resulting in shortness of breath, especially with physical exertion. Elevated pressure in the arteries to the lungs (pulmonary hypertension) can also cause shortness of breath and difficulty getting an adequate breath with activity.

Scleroderma affecting the large bowel (colon) most often causes constipation but can also lead to cramping and diarrhea. When this is severe, complete stool blockage (fecal impaction) can result.

Read the Original Article: Scleroderma

A.

I when to the Dr .this  afternoon sever pain in the thighs and lower extremities.  I also have the same in my arm and hands.  My pain has gotten worse day by day.  My BP was 80/50. he toke labs and urine sample.  He also gave me 4 shots which included solu-med, prednizone..toradol and norflex.  He also gave my 2 bags of solution.  I went home and  took my supper pill which had tramadol.  My Rheumatologist   tells my to take them 2 pills 3x a day.    I toke my bedtime pills which has a vicadin.  I still have no pain relieve.  What can eleveate  I was my RA doc 3 weeks ago and though it might be MS.