Q.

What should I know about high cholesterol?

Related Topics: High Cholesterol

A.

Cholesterol is a type of fat found in your blood. Cholesterol comes from two sources. It is produced by your body and it comes from the food you eat. Your total cholesterol is made up of both LDL and HDL cholesterol.

LDL cholesterol is called “bad” cholesterol because it can build up in the wall of your arteries and form plaque. Over time, plaque build-up can cause a narrowing of the arteries. This narrowing can slow or block blood flow to your heart, brain, and other organs. High LDL cholesterol is a major cause of heart disease and one of the causes for stroke.

HDL cholesterol is called “good” cholesterol because it keeps the bad cholesterol from building up in the arteries.

Triglycerides also are fats found in your body.

Read the Original Article: Vytorin